Laser Hair Removal FAQs and Patient Instructions
Laser hair removal is the procedure that involves using a beam of laser light to remove unwanted hair. During this procedure, a laser machine emits a light beam of a specific wavelength. This light gets absorbed into the dark pigment of the hair and converts into heat. This heat destroys the hair follicles, effectively inhibiting future hair growth. Generally, laser hair removal treatment in Dubai is touted as the most viable option to get rid of unwanted hair on your body, and for good reasons. This article describes laser hair removal FAQs and patient instructions regarding laser hair removal.
Laser Hair Removal FAQs
What happens during the laser hair removal procedure?
The dermatologist will clean the area to be treated and apply a numbing gel if your skin is sensitive. It usually takes 30 to 60 minutes for a numbing gel to make the skin immune to irritation caused by the laser.
Generally, the laser hair removal procedure takes place in a room specifically for treatments involving lasers and radiation. The dermatologist holds the skin tight and directs a laser beam to the treatment area when performing the procedure. Most patients describe the sensation they get from laser pulses as a rubber band snapping against the skin.
After getting absorbed into the hair’s dark pigment, the laser converts into heat and vaporizes the hair. This process may result in small plumes of smoke with a sulfur-like smell.
Generally, the length of a treatment session depends on the size of the treatment area. For instance, the laser hair removal procedure above your lip will last only a few minutes. On the other hand, hair removal on the back or legs will take an hour.
Is there downtime with laser hair removal?
No, there is generally no downtime required with laser hair removal. However, there will be some redness and swelling in the treated area, but these minor side effects are not obstructive to your daily routine.
When will I start seeing the results of laser hair removal?
Laser hair removal results are usually visible soon after the procedure. However, some factors may affect the visibility of results. Those factors include:
- Thickness and color of your hair
- Area being treated
- Skin color
- Type of laser used
Typically, a patient needs to undergo 2-6 treatment sessions to get desired results. Generally, the first treatment session shows a 10% to 25% reduction in unwanted hair. Even the regrown hairs will be fewer and thinner than those of the pre-treatment time. After the treatment, the treated area remains hair-free for several months to a few years.
How long will laser hair removal results last?
Laser hair removal tends to give hair-free skin for months or even years. When the hair in the treated site regrows, it is significantly less noticeable. You may have to undergo a few follow-up sessions to keep the treated area hair-free for the long term.
Are there any side effects to laser hair removal?
Since laser hair removal involves using an intense light beam, this treatment may cause a few side effects. However, these side effects tend to be minor and last only 2-3 days after the procedure. The most common side effects of hair removal with lasers are:
While hair removal treatments are usually safe, it is best to discuss your skin and other factors with a skilled dermatologist. They will analyze your skin for possible complications and recommend necessary measures to keep those complications at bay.
When can you go for another laser hair removal session?
The answer to this question usually varies from person to person. Generally, there must be a gap of 4-6 weeks between every two treatment sessions. Your dermatologist will have the final say on when it is safe for another laser hair removal session.
What is the laser hair removal’s safety record?
In general, lasers play a vital role in solving many issues related to skin, nails, and hair. Modern-day technological advancements have allowed dermatologists to use lasers to treat these issues while avoiding complications. Laser hair removal is undoubtedly one of those advancements.
In the past, laser hair removal would benefit only dark-colored hairs on light-colored skin. However, modern-day lasers can help remove light-colored hair and the hair on dark skin.
Nevertheless, laser hair removal is safe and effective only when delivered from the hands of skilled dermatologists. An experienced dermatologist knows well about the precautions to take before and after the session and other crucial factors.
Which areas does laser hair removal treat?
Laser hair removal is suitable for the following areas of the body:
Preparing Laser Hair Removal Treatment
The following are the standard guidelines you must follow before undergoing laser hair removal treatment.
- Make sure that your skin is completely free of oils, lotions, or fragrances. It is best to undergo this procedure freshly showered.
- It is necessary to shave the treatment area before the procedure. Make sure to shave your legs 24 hours before treatment. Moreover, avoid epilating, tweezing, and using chemical depilatories between treatment sessions.
- Avoid the treatment area’s exposure to the sun. And make sure not to use UV tanning beds for at least two weeks before the treatment procedure.
- Avoid using any topical products that might cause photosensitivity in the treatment area for at least three days before treatment.
- During the initial consultation, the doctor will give you instructions regarding oral prescription medication. Make sure to follow all those instructions to mitigate any risk of complications during and after treatment.
- Do not go for any skin treatment for two weeks before laser hair removal treatment.
After Laser Hair Removal Treatment
- Some redness and swelling in the area treated with hair-removing lasers are normal. These complications may persist for a few days. Additionally, the treated area may feel like having razor burn or sunburn for a few hours after the procedure. You can help soothe your skin with the help of aloe vera or over-the-counter hydrocortisone.
- It generally takes two weeks for the hair in the treated area to fall out. The treated area will gradually develop hair patches, which will dissipate with later treatment sessions.
- Remember, ensuring proper post-treatment care is vital for an improved appearance of the treatment site. The improper skincare, including excessive sun or heat exposure, can lead to skin texture and color changes. So, make sure to avoid saunas, hot tubs, and physical workouts for at least 24 hours after the treatment. Moreover, avoid getting out in the sun and using UV tanning beds for at least two weeks.
- Ensure not to use any topical products that may cause photosensitivity for at least three days after the procedure. You may use a gentle lotion or cleanser as a topical solution for the treated area.
- Make sure to follow every instruction from your practitioner regarding oral or topical medication.
- Put your plans for dermal filler injections, BOTOX® injections, microdermabrasion, or chemical peeling on hold for at least two weeks after laser hair removal.
Thanks to modern-day advancements and improved treatment methods, laser hair removal in Dubai is safer and more effective than ever. Even the side effects caused by this treatment are temporary and go away in a few days. However, it is highly recommended to discuss your candidacy for this treatment with a skilled dermatologist.